Complete the following form to download your document.
Driving improved sustainability performance
Maintaining a sustainable supply chain is vital to our business to ensure our products are reliable for our customers. We work with suppliers who share similar values and are interested in collaborating to develop a more sustainable future. We take a collective approach to improving suppliers’ sustainable performance and expect adherence to minimum standards across our diverse supplier base.
Learn more about how Univar Solutions’ sustainable sourcing efforts not only meet the individual needs of our current customers but also the collective needs of our shared future.
Where we take action
Univar Solutions has committed to targets of having 100 percent of new and active suppliers acknowledge our Global Supplier Code of Conduct by 2023, and assessing 80 percent of our suppliers by spend on their sustainability performance, with minimum standards for those assessed being met by 2025. Our strategic areas of focus include:
Infrastructure and Investment:
- Supply chain ESG assessment and management software to improve transparency of related performance of our suppliers
Processes and Procedures
- Supplier onboarding and supplier assessments
- Supplier Code of Conduct contractual requirement
- Development and delivery of global sustainable and ethical sourcing training for commercial teams
2021 Performance Highlights
Since first adding new considerations in 2017 in the areas of quality, safety, environmental, social issues and ethics into our due diligence process, our team has leaped forward to build a comprehensive due diligence procedure for all suppliers.
- Began issuing our Supplier Code of Conduct to new product suppliers: In 2021, the Supplier Code of Conduct was approved by the Executive Committee and publicized to our stakeholders to improve responsible practices across our upstream operations. We have initiated the roll-out of this and will continue to progress through 2022.
- Utilized supplemental due diligence for high-risk suppliers: Univar Solutions ensures compliance with applicable trade sanctions through a systematized Denied Party Screening program. We utilize a third-party software system to continually screen the company’s business partners against a dynamic compilation of over 500 international trade sanction lists.
- Supported the due diligence process for suppliers that make up 80 percent of our annual spend by partnering with EcoVadis: We partnered with EcoVadis, an independent assessment firm, to support the due diligence process for significant suppliers (as measured by annual spend). As part of their review, EcoVadis provides a numerical score and a list of improvement considerations that are available to both the supplier and Univar Solutions. In 2021, we also conducted a self-assessment to identify our own improvement areas.
Our journey to facilitate greater supply chain transparency and sustainable practices
With the support of our senior leadership team, our commercial sustainability working groups are embedding sustainable practices, products and services across Univar Solutions. In 2021, we began engaging with suppliers to assess their standards and practices with respect to environmental, social and ethical issues.
The Supplier Code of Conduct is a newly launched tool that outlines our minimum expectations in key ESG areas. Moving forward, all existing and new suppliers will be required to comply with the Supplier Code of Conduct and complete risk and supplier assessments as part of our due diligence process before beginning work with Univar Solutions. By engaging our suppliers, we not only mitigate and reduce the risk of harmful practices within our supply chain, but also promote greater transparency and performance improvement.
In addition to complying with the Supplier Code of Conduct, suppliers that are identified as being higher-risk are also required to answer a supplemental questionnaire to identify potential concerns in specific areas, including business ethics, labor and welfare, health and safety and environmental practices.