Complete the following form to download your document.
Building a better world today, tomorrow, together.
As a global leader in chemical and ingredient distribution, we work at the intersection of science and technology, helping customers bring forward sustainable solutions to achieve their ESG goals. That means we are more than a distributor: we are a technical innovator and supply chain connector, exploring new ways to take your products to the next level and solve challenges for a better tomorrow.
Why is sustainability important to your bottom line? Sustainability can mean a lot of things depending on your perspective or business imperative and where you are on the sustainability journey. We all want to meet the moment, safeguarding people and the planet, while keeping businesses successful and profitable. Since 2008, we've made substantial progress in sustainability as a responsible company doing just that, and we will continue to lead the way in our commitments to driving a sustainable future in distribution.
Sustainable & Natural Product Portfolio
A framework for sustainability at the product level
Because there is no global definition of sustainability at the product level, we developed a Sustainable & Natural Product Framework to help customers evaluate sustainability for ingredients and raw materials. The Framework is already enabling productive communication on product sustainability and we are just beginning. As innovation and regulations emerge, our Framework will evolve. Visit here often as we add new Sustainable & Natural Product Skus every week!
Here are the first six sustainable & natural product characteristics. Click on each one for definitions and examples.
Explore sustainable formulations and ingredient innovations for your industry
At Univar Solutions, our formulators, chemists, and engineers formulate sustainability into new product development to meet end market demand. Whether you desire to add sustainable and natural ingredients or update formulations for new regulation and customer demand, we have a sustainable formulation to accelerate your launch. Each market presents unique ways to innovate products within their offerings to address sustainability.
Learn more about sustainable formulations in your specific market or product family:
We are committed to supporting you on your sustainability journey and helping keep global communities healthy, fed, clean, and safe.
In August 2022, we surveyed our global customer base: 51% of our customers currently report their sustainability goals, and performance remains the #1 reason customers purchase new products.
Let's lead the way to a more sustainable future, together.
Sustainability adds value and makes good business sense.
By leveraging our strong portfolio of sustainable products, services, practices and technologies to aid customers and consumers in meeting their sustainability goals, we demonstrate our commitment to sustainability and vision for a better world.
Sustainability makes good business sense and aligns with our core values of being serious about safety, a place where people matter, a company that's valuable to others and does what they say so that together, we win. Combined, these sustainability principles illustrate how through common goals, we can work toward a better tomorrow through next-generation solutions.
Sustainability in Action
80% CO2 reduction from supplier to customer delivery
Challenge: Source products efficiently and with the lowest carbon footprint
Solution: Optimize supply chain by switching form trucks to railcars
Results: 80% reduction in CO2 emissions from source to customer
Identified effective ingredients for 100% natural and sustainable wax alternatives
Challenge: Confirm sustainability attributes for an alternative option to beeswax
- A leading wax supplier was bringing to the market a carefully curated blend of three plant-based waxes to replace traditional beeswax but needed lab assistance, performance testing, and analysis to confirm essential attributes for personal care formulators
Solution: Specialty ingredient innovation backed by performance data and testing
- Our ingredients specialists and chemists went to work analyzing and testing blend characteristics such as melting point, congeal point, acid values and rations, and more, producing extensive data to support and confirm performance attributes
Delivered 100% natural alternative through our Solution Center
- With beeswax no longer the first choice for a growing number of industrial materials, this viable vegan wax solution meets sustainable claims without sacrificing efficacy or versatility
- Our global Solutions Centers delivered formulation expertise every step of the way to help customers achieve a 100% natural alternative that meets vegan, halal, and kosher claims
- Delivered an optimized formula that is palm-free, GMO free, and biodegradable
End-to-end sustainable waste management solutions
Challenge: Identify sustainable solutions for eye care manufacturer’s waste materials
- Our customer needed reuse and reclaim options for their spent isopropanol waste to meet their impending ESG goals and to better utilize limited waste disposal capacity
Solution: Leverage our supply chain and customer relationships to locate reuse/reclaim options
- Together with a leading supplier of solvent reclamation services and another customer who can reuse the isopropanol “as is”, Univar Solutions manages over 25 million pounds annually via tanker and railcar for our customer
- 500K pounds per month reclaimed and sold back into the chemical market
- 1.5M pounds per month reused to manufacture isopropyl acetate
Results: Lowered customer cost and supported achievement of ESG goals
This optimized supply chain solutions for the customer’s spent isopropanol waste yields:
- Decreased disposal costs, creates a revenue opportunity depending on market index
- Exclusion from RCRA when managed for reuse
- Supports our customer’s ESG goals
- Low carbon deliveries
- Sustainable reconditioned packaging
- Formulate for end market sustainability
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) »
*Please note that our suppliers have provided all the data to support each sustainability characteristic and warranted the following:
- All representations regarding Supplier's compliance with sustainability standards or the sustainability of its individual products (collectively or individually, "Sustainability Representations") are true and correct in all material regards and shall remain true and correct until updated by Supplier, as required by Section C below.
- All representations regarding Supplier's Sustainability Representations are fact-based and are not to be considered as mere opinions of the Supplier. Supplier shall reasonably promptly inform Univar Solutions in writing of any material changes in fact affecting, or any other bases for modifying, Supplier's Sustainability Representations.
- Supplier acknowledges that Univar Solutions may use the Sustainability Representations from Supplier to convey sustainability information and/or warranties to Univar Solutions' customers. Supplier agrees to (i) waive any claim by Supplier against Univar Solutions and (ii) indemnify and hold Univar Solutions harmless from any claim, liability, or expense (including but not limited to reasonable attorney fees) directly or indirectly arising out of or related to the accuracy of Supplier's Sustainability Representations provided to Univar Solutions' customers.
- These obligations supplement the duties and obligations of any existing agreement(s) between Univar and Supplier.
Our Suppliers also sign our Supplier Code of Conduct so you can be assured that we are working throughout our supply chain to transparently create our Sustainable & Natural Products Portfolio.